What this is all about...

This blog describes my journey with the tarot. Here you can find articles, spreads, deck reviews, tarot fiction, practice readings, exercises or get readings (see tabs above).

TIP: You can navigate the categories on the right to find Spreads, "Dear Satu" readings for fictional characters, Deck Reviews, Exercises and more.

Sonntag, 22. Januar 2012

New Deck Interview: The Circle of Life Tarot




The Circle of Life Tarot by Maria Distefano. (c) 2008. Lo Scarabeo. All Rights Reserved

I have had this deck for a while because at first I thought the idea of a round deck was interesting. I soon discovered that for reasons not really clear to me I don't particularly like round cards. Perhaps because it's difficult to shuffle them and to use them in spreads. Despite that I decided to give this deck a chance and was very surprised to see what it had to tell me in the New Deck Interview. I picked this spread up on Aeclectic Tarot a while ago but can't remember who it was by so forgive me for not giving this person credit here.

1. Tell me about yourself: what is your most important characteristic?
2. What are your strengths as a deck?
3. What are your limitations as a deck?
4. What do you bring to the table: what can you teach me?
5. How can I best learn from you?
6. What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?

1. What is your most important characteristic?

Five of Swords - the card shows a fairy that looks like a wasp (except for the colour). It has a mean-looking sting and carries four swords.

I totally hate wasps. I just find them scary and annoying and they know that, always zooming straight at my face the nasty buggers. Not only do I have a difficult relationship with wasps but I also happen to dislike the Five of Swords very much as for me it is all about being mean and hurting people or taking pleasure in hurting oneself or others. So a deck which is scary, annoying and bent to hurt me? Not for me, no! At least that was my first reaction. And perhaps that is what this tells me. What strikes me the most at first is that for me it's prickly, bristly, difficult to handle and that was actually what it felt like when I had bought it and tried my first readings with it. I just didn't get it.

2. What are your strengths as a deck?

Eight of Pentacles - You can see two fairies sitting on the ground. One of them is painting what looks like wooden beads on a string and the other one holds one of the beads. Some of the beads have legs and wings and look as if they are trying to lift off but they can only hobble as they are being held by the string.

What it instantly made me think of was that if I take the time to really study the cards, learn to "paint" them in my colours perhaps they will give my readings wings and legs and make them come alive and lift off. So I need to get immersed in the imagery and try to give them my personal stamp.

3. What are your limitations as a deck?

King of Wands - The King of Wands for me is all about will-power, energy, self confidence and determination. Once he has set his eyes on a goal, he will work towards achieving it. In this card I found it strange to see the King of Wands with his eyes closed wearing a cap that looks like a falcon's head and wings. He is carrying a staff that curls at the end. There is what I would see as a sceptre shaped like a hand that seems to be functioning as an incense burner here. The background is a reddish brown and cloudy as if the King is flying through smoke.
The falcon as an attribute here let me think of air and the Swords suit, flying with his eyes closed he looked more like a Prince of Cups to me going by instinct and intuition. The falcon's eyes radiate and it made me think the King didn't need his own eyes because his falcon head sees for him.

So the fiery King of Wands has a lot of airy and watery qualities in this deck, which also shows in his staff that is bent and curled, not pointed and straight. For me it means that this deck is probably not the best to use if you would like a straightforward action plan or focus on how best to achieve your goals. It's more on the intuitive side than on the practical perhaps, which is not bad. In my readings I lean towards the systems-based, traditional approach and try to mix it with intuitive reading as I find it rather limiting sometimes. I find it difficult not to quote stuff I read in books but really make a reading work using the imagery.

4. What do you bring to the table: what can you teach me?

Knight of Swords - this knight of swords is half animal, half fairy. Like a centaur, only different. The horns look like those of an ibex (Capricorn) even though the fur looks more like a llama. He is standing on top of a hill or mountain, rearing up on his hind legs wielding what looks like a scimitar. He has long red wavy hair. Again the elementary attributions strike me as odd, Capricorn being earth, Swords being air and I would associate a knight with fire. So this seems to be a good mix of earth (Capricorn), fire (red hair, shaggy fur, yellow colour in the background and the knight) and air (swords). What I don't see here is anything I would associate with water. But that's good as I'm overly emotional anyway. But this deck can help me not being too lofty (airy) and lose my grounding but at the same time be more daring. Not bad. The Knight of Swords always strikes me as a bit of a rebel, so perhaps it's time to kick some inner critic's ass. ;)

5. How can I best learn from you?

The Star - on this a woman is kneeling on a black surface that is bordered with two streams of golden liquid. This makes it look as if the black in the middle could just as well be a river. The woman is holding two chalices from which she pours golden liquid into the two streams running either side of her and her head is poking through a star-shaped golden object. The bottom part of it is hidden by the kneeling figure but I think it looks more like the Star of David than a pentagram. Makes me think of the six directions of space: up, down, north, east, south, west and centre, the woman's head is poking right through the centre.

What it made me think of is a conduit, like she receives messages from her own centre or from "the universe" and pours them out as golden liquid - equally, on either side of her, which I take as an image of how I can read with this deck, trying to become a conduit, let it flow, just pour out what comes into my mind when I see the cards rather than using my systems-based knowledge of what the cards mean.

6. What is the potential outcome of our working relationship?

The Empress - the Empress in this deck is sitting naked on the ground in what appears to be a cave, there is a mirror in front of her and she is touching it with her palm but not looking at it. Her hair appears a dark green and there is red bits in it that look like roses to me. Apart from that everything on the card appears brownish grey. There's a little impish creature lying on top of a rock looking down at the Empress, he blends in completely with his surroundings as does the mirror image of the Empress.

For me this tells me not to focus my attention on the mirror image being what I think I should be like as a tarot reader, move away from my ego or conscious mind that has studied so hard and learned so much from books but at the same time I should not lose touch completely with that side of me. Every thing on the card is brownish-grey except for the Empress, her hair and what appears to be a bundle of brown cloth behind her (perhaps her clothes?). She creates beauty in this barren-looking environment. I know that I tend to overthink and overintellectualize (is that even a word?) which can make my readings a bit grey and too rock-solid like the cave but I need to allow myself to grow and to bloom more and then it can be a very fertile relationship.

I was really amazed at my results here as it seems this is a great deck to help me use my intuition more and make my big head shut up. :)

Kommentare:

  1. I really like this deck and your story about each card is so interesting.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank you. It's strange. When I first saw some pictures of it in a forum I really wanted to have it. Then when I had bought it, I found it hard to read with and totally forgot about it. The interview was surprising and now it seems I can work with it a lot better.

    AntwortenLöschen